What are some of the element of a hit song?
The song chosen to be a “hit” will 99% comply with a radio friendly format. There are several elements of a radio friendly format. These are some of criteria you can use to discover the best hit song.
- The song length needs to be 3-4 minutes.
- The intro should only be 4 bars maximum.
- The song’s chorus should arrive before 60 seconds pass.
- A familiar song structure like: Intro-Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge-Chorus-Chorus
- The words need to connect with the audience
- The topic of the song needs to be relevant to the listener
- Lyrics should be universal in order to appeal to a larger audience.
- The production of the song needs to be high caliber
- The performance needs to be spot on
- Music needs to be play excellently with no mistakes
- The melody needs to be simple and memorable.
- The melody needs to “hook” itself into the listeners mind
- Make certain that the chorus stand out from the verse by using creative contrast.
- The hook in 95% of the time will be the title.
- Make sure the song has a title that will hook the listener
- The hook title needs a great melody behind it.
- Repeat the hook as much as you can get away with doing.
- Make sure the lyrics tell a story.
- Watch for grammar mistakes. i.e. verb tense, pronoun usage.
- Most people can tell when a song is great. Tap into that feeling.