Whether you’re just starting out as a songwriter, you’re an experienced songwriter or just looking for a new perspective on the beautiful craft of songwriting, Song Maps – A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics offers fresh insights to help you write your very best lyrics.
Does any of the following sound familiar?
- You worry that the lyrics you write just don’t deliver their full potential but can’t figure out why, despite the fact that technically they tick all the right boxes.
- You have great ideas but your finished lyrics by some means fall short of the emotional affect you wanted and, as a result, your songs get passed over.
- You have a busy schedule with limited time to write and have wasted too many hours chasing un-writable lyric ideas.
- You wonder how some professional songwriters at all times seem to get a particular dynamic in their lyrics, consistently writing songs better than 90% of what you hear on the radio.
- You are perhaps nervous about going into a pro co-writing session because you fear your ideas are not worth bringing into the writing room.
- You know you have such a lot of great titles waiting to be written but haven’t found a way of systematically developing them into well-crafted lyrics.
After writing an amazing hooky Chorus and a great supporting first Verse, you hit the dreaded wall that is “second verse curse”.
In Song Maps – A New System to Write Your Best Lyrics, I deliver simple, logical, well-defined solutions to these issues and more: I give you seven well-developed professional templates for you to bring your lyrics to life. I also provide you with a tried and tested process for writing lyrics using Song Maps. And I’ll reveal the songwriter’s secret weapon. Much of this book contains new material.
This is because, whilst I enjoyed building a firm foundation of knowledge about the craft from the songwriting programs at Berklee Music School and other sources, I discovered Song Maps afterwards, from my experience as a professional songwriter, writing either on my own or in the writing rooms of Nashville.
Having been signed as a staff songwriter at Universal Music Publishing in Nashville, being nominated and winning awards for my songs including Grammys, Doves and hymn-writing awards, and after spending many years studying thousands of techniques and developing them in my own songwriting and in the writing room, I’ve had the privilege of teaching the material in this book to hundreds of songwriters and seeing a step change in their writing.
I have been blessed to watch them find their authentic voice in writing ideas to their full potential, helping them achieve their dream to move from writing flat 2D lyrics to fabulous High Definition full-color 3D lyrics. As you assimilate Song Maps into your writing workflow, your songwriting will shift away from tentative, self-conscious, inhibited writing to strong, bold, intentional and vulnerable writing that does full justice to your original ideas, ultimately allowing you to make the affect you deserve as a songwriter. If you implement the simple, easy-to-understand concepts in this book, I promise you your songs will be better crafted than 90% of the songs you hear on the radio. It’s going to also transform your effectiveness as a co-writer. Importantly, no matter where your songs end up, you are going to be confident you have written a brilliant lyric and you have got served your co-writers well.
Let this book help you transform your lyric writing by using Song Maps in your songwriting workflow and take your song ideas to their ultimate potential by writing your best, truly golden, spectacular songs.